Dropbox on FreeBSD

Matthew Pherigo hybrid120 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 15 18:01:01 UTC 2014

+1 for Bittorrent Sync.

As I understand it, Dropbox relies on the inotify functionality in the Linux kernel, and there is no equivalent function in the FreeBSD kernel (which is why the linux compatibility layer doesn't have an inotify function either). There are some unofficial solutions to this problem, but as far as I can see, btsync is a great solution.

Now, it should be noted that btsync is just dumb peer-to-peer folder syncing. Although it accomplishes a lot of what you would want from dropbox, if you're a regular user of features like the web interface, then you would probably be a lot better off setting up an instance of Sparkleshare on your personal Web server. Sparkleshare is intended to be an open-source dropbox competitor, that has the features that btsync is missing. The disadvantage, of course, is that Sparkleshare requires a Web server, while btsync only needs to be installed on the computers you wish to sync files on.

--Matt