OT: odd gmail behavior

Aryeh Friedman aryeh.friedman at gmail.com
Fri Feb 14 19:31:30 UTC 2014

Since gmail does not have its own forums (as far I can tell) I am asking
this here.  Maybe someone, here, knows:

1. Gmail determines the importance of a piece of mail by (among other
things) how frequently you read related mails (for example it considers
ports-bugs@ to be important for my case but that's only because I currently
have a couple of ports in the process of being committed)

2. There seems no way (besides reading this include marking it as read) to
mark a message as being not important

3. As a result of the above, in the last 2 weeks my important and unread
folder has exploded from 2 or 3 messages a day (ones that are truly
important) to over 50 thus making the feature useless

Any ideas?

P.S. at some point the project listed in my signature will be adding
support for preconfigured mail servers and such; once this happens the
above is moot... but til then...