Restart network without reboot ?

dteske at FreeBSD.org dteske at FreeBSD.org
Mon Feb 10 21:47:33 UTC 2014

Pilgrim
> Subject: Re: Re[2]: Restart network without reboot ?
>
> On Mon, Feb 10, 2014 at 5:30 PM,  <dteske at freebsd.org> wrote:
> > sh -c 'echo "$((($(date +%M)+2)%60)) $(date +%H) * * * root sh
> > /tmp/do_it_now.sh" >> /etc/crontab'
>
> Sounds to me a little too dangerous: what if you forget to remove the
entry
> from crontab?
> Why not using at and/or a sleep+nohup to launch the job after a few
> seconds?

[Devin Teske]

Just going out on a limb here (for fun); what if the box was in Siberia? It
would try to renegotiate in 24 hours if it didn't come back to the point
where
you could remove the line. Heh ;D

Nah, I just use cron because I've had bad luck in the past with attempts to
renegotiate the network from a process that itself is spawned via a network
process. That includes running things with nohup -- they still seem to die.

Cron has always done me right though (but I've never tried using "at").
--
Devin