question about portmaster

Antonio Olivares olivares14031 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 10 13:31:18 UTC 2014

On Sat, Feb 8, 2014 at 5:19 AM, Matthew Seaman <matthew at freebsd.org> wrote:
> On 07/02/2014 18:46, Warren Block wrote:
>>> I have a little problem with xorg deps that I get errors,
>>> I run
>>> # portmaster --check-depends
>>> but I am afraid to mess up, how can I fix these once and for all?
>>> ``
>>> pkg_version: corrupted record for package icon-naming-utils-0.8.90_1
>>> (pkgdep line without argument), ignoring
>>
>> I don't know a specific answer to this, it probably means that some
>> dependencies are missing, but it did make me realize that this error has
>> not appeared since I switched pkg(8).
>
> Absolutely.  You won't get this error with pkg(8) -- it's just not
> possible to get that sort of corruption in the local.sqlite schema
> pkg(8) uses.  (All too easy with pkg_tools as anyone who has used
> portmaster+pkg_tools will testify.)
>
> To fix the OP's problem once and for all:
>
>      # /usr/sbin/pkg -v
>      [ Answer the prompts in the affirmative ]
>      # pkg2ng -p
>      # echo 'WITH_PKGNG=YES' >> /etc/make.conf
>      # pkg check -ad
>      [ Optional -- this will point up any missing dependencies ]
>
> When running 'pkg check' you will be prompted to install missing
> packages from whatever repository (if any) you have configured.  If
> you're going to be building everything from ports, at that point you
> should take note of what is missing, quit out of 'pkg check' and build
> the missing bits using portmaster.  (In fact, you'll probably find that
> there aren't actually any missing bits: what's gone wrong is recording
> which package is required by which other package correctly.)
>
> Yes, this is quite a radical solution, but it's the only way to achieve
> that 'once and for all' condition.  You can use 'portmaster
> --check-depends' to fix things up, but eventually the problem will recur
> if you stick with pkg_tools.
>
>         Cheers,
>
>         Matthew
>
> --
> Dr Matthew J Seaman MA, D.Phil.
> PGP: http://www.infracaninophile.co.uk/pgpkey

Dear Sir,

Thank you for your suggestion.  On one of the two machines, the
process is churning.  It is going on converting to pkg, but on the
other one I get errors:

# /usr/sbin/pkg -v
The package management tool is not yet installed on your system.
Do you want to fetch and install it now? [y/N]: y
Bootstrapping pkg please wait
_http._tcp.pkg.FreeBSD.org
Installing pkg-1.2.6... done
If you are upgrading from the old package format, first run:

  # pkg2ng
1.2.6
# pkg2ng -p
pkg2ng: Command not found.
# /usr/sbin/pkg -v
1.2.6
# pkg2ng -p
pkg2ng: Command not found.
# /usr/sbin/pkg2ng -p
/usr/sbin/pkg2ng: Command not found.
# pkg2ng
pkg2ng: Command not found.
# which pkg2ng
pkg2ng: Command not found.
# /usr/sbin/pkg -v
1.2.6
# cat /usr/ports/UPDATING | more
This file documents some of the problems you may encounter when upgrading
your ports.  We try our best to minimize these disruptions, but sometimes
they are unavoidable.

You should get into the habit of checking this file for changes each time
you update your ports collection, before attempting any port upgrades.

20140208:
  AFFECTS: users of spamdyke
  AUTHOR: bdrewery at FreeBSD.org

  Spamdyke has been updated to 5.0.0. The behavior has changed from
  4.x. Please see the upgrading notes at:

  http://www.spamdyke.org/documentation/UPGRADING_version_4_to_version_5.txt

20140208:
  AFFECTS: users of icu
  AUTHOR: bapt at FreeBSD.org

  icu has been updated to 52.1. Please rebuild all ports that depend on it
  if you have the glib20 port built with COLLATION_FIX option activated

  If you use portmaster:
        portmaster -w -r icu
  If you use portupgrade:
# portmaster -d -w -r icu
pkg: PACKAGESITE in pkg.conf is deprecated. Please create a repository
configuration file

===>>> icu is not installed
===>>> Aborting update

===>>> Killing background jobs
Terminated
===>>> Exiting
[...]

#

I just want to fix things up.  Thank you and Warren for helping out!

Best Regards,

Antonio