Learning freebsd

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Sat Feb 8 19:43:05 UTC 2014

On Sat, 8 Feb 2014 21:19:32 +0530, rakesh sharma wrote:
> Hi,
> I am new to freebsdI have installed the os, but i donno
> how to run programs and develop sw in this

The way to run a program is simple: You _call_ the program. :-)

To install programs, make yourself familiar with the "pkg" command.
You can get the locally installed manual for any program (as well
as configuration file, system service, library call, kernel inter-
face and maintenance procedure) by entering "man <name>".

In which programming language do you wish to develop on FreeBSD?
If you choose C or C++, all required tools are already installed
on the system (preprocessor, compiler, the "make" utility, even
editors like "vi" or "ee"). You can also install graphical envi-
ronments for development, such as Eclipse, KDevelop, Glade or
Gorm. They are just a "pkg install" command away.

> How can i go about, any help?

You should find The FreeBSD Handbook and the FAQ very helpful.
They'll help you learn how to use FreeBSD. They can be found
online here:

	https://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/

	https://www.freebsd.org/doc/faq/

You can also install them in the mentioned way to make them
available locally, so you don't require an Internet connection
to use them.

A Wiki has also been created which contains many helpful articles:

	https://wiki.freebsd.org/

Still it's usually considered helpful if you have fundamental
knowledge about UNIX operating systems. There are many good
books about this topic, some of them covering internal details
which _might_ be needed for what you're intending to develop
on FreeBSD.

As a developer, you'll also find the FreeBSD source code very
helpful. It's consistent, clean, and well documented. You will
usually find it in the /usr/src directory subtree on your local
installation.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany