The best approach to upgrade to freebsd 10 ?

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Fri Feb 7 21:55:05 UTC 2014

On Sat, 1 Feb 2014 21:47:08 -0800 (PST), sw2wolf wrote:
> $uname -a
> FreeBSD mybsd.zsoft.com 9.1-RELEASE-p4 FreeBSD 9.1-RELEASE-p4 #3: Thu Jun 27
> 20:00:17 CST 2013     ***@mybsd.zsoft.com:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/MYKERNEL
> i386
>
> I want to use freebsd-update first, then customize the kernel.  Any
> suggestion is appreciated !

I have just done something similar few days ago. Source system
was 9.1, target was 10.0. I could not upgrade from 9.1 to 10.0
with freebsd-update directly, but it was easy to upgrade to 9.2
and from there to 10.0.

Still this way requires much interaction and time. It's probably
easier to do an upgrade from source. Obtain the sources for 10.0
and follow the instructions in /usr/src/Makefile and The FreeBSD
Handbook's relevant chapter.

You could of course also do a complete reinstall from a 10.0
installation media. :-)

Note that you'll probably have to re-install all your ports (or
install the compat port as short-time solution). Also the shift
from pkg_* towards pkg is something that a complete reinstallation
seems to handle nicely.

However, if you choose the freebsd-update way, make sure that you
also have the "src" distribution selected so you can apply your
kernel changes afterwards. Make sure world and kernel source code
are in sync (so you don't run into trouble there).

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany