installing big qmail server ... where to start?

krad kraduk at gmail.com
Fri Feb 7 08:26:17 UTC 2014

1st thing I would do is really look at why you need to use qmail. If its
because you want want maildir, I dont think there is modern MTA out there
today that doesnt support it. Personally I would use exim for the MTA, with
a db or ldap backend. However many folks out there love postfix.

Is this box going to be a single all in one job or is it going to be a
multi box solution? If its the latter then you will need a storage machine,
serving out the maildirs via nfs. You can then have inbound mtas mounting
it, some pop3/imap headends mounting it and maybe some webmail, although
most webmails these days are imap wrappers. As Mark said previously with
the filer zfs is the way to go and as its all NFS based you will be doing
lots of sync writes so a fast dedicated ZIL will be very handy.