fstab entry for fusefs based

Kevin Oberman rkoberman at gmail.com
Thu Feb 6 06:57:28 UTC 2014

On Wed, Feb 5, 2014 at 4:26 PM, <kpneal at pobox.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 03, 2014 at 12:03:48PM -0800, Kevin Oberman wrote:
> > On Mon, Feb 3, 2014 at 8:56 AM, Mike Clarke <jmc-freebsd2 at milibyte.co.uk
> >wrote:

> but I
> > >
> > > You can find instructions in
> /usr/local/share/doc/ntfs-3g/README.FreeBSD.
> > >
> > > Basically you specify the file type as ntfs-3g or rename
> /sbin/mount_ntfs,
> > > symlink ntfs-3g as the former, and use just "ntfs" as the file type.
> > >
> > > This works for me with 9.1-RELEASE
> > >

> > Thanks! I now have a VERY long entry in my fstab with a to of options.
> I'll
> > re-boot later today to see if it works correctly.
> >
> > Replacing mount_ntfs with a link to ntfs-3g is what I did on version 9
> for
> > NTFS, but 10 dropped ntfs, so I was unsure of how to do it. I missed the
> > README.FreeBSD file. Oops! Now to look to see if exFAT has similar
> > information!
>
> Sorry, I'm a little behind on my email, but does the 'mount' command
> run with no arguments give you the type for your fstab?
>
> I have no fuse or ntfs so I can't personally check on your case.

All are identified as "fusefs":
/dev/fuse on /media/Windows7_OS (fusefs, local, synchronous)
/dev/fuse on /media/Media (fusefs, local, synchronous)

The man page for mount_fusefs(8) explains this. If you are not familiar
with the fusefs implementation, fuse_mount is a the code that does allof
the heavy lifting. ntfs-3g and mount.exfat-fuse. are daemons that remain
resident as long as the volume remains mounted. so fusefs is all that is
known to the system.

While the mount_fusefs command can be used to mount the system, it would
take several options that I am unsure how or if they can be entered into
the fstab file.

Thanks for looking at this. I am completely baffled at this point.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer, Retired
E-mail: rkoberman at gmail.com