The best approach to upgrade to freebsd 10 ?

Steve O'Hara-Smith steve at sohara.org
Sun Feb 2 19:45:22 UTC 2014

On Sat, 1 Feb 2014 21:47:08 -0800 (PST)
sw2wolf <czsq888 at 163.com> wrote:

> I want to use freebsd-update first, then customize the kernel.  Any
> suggestion is appreciated !

	I just upgraded a VM from 9.1 to 10.0 by freebsd-update. I had to
go in two stages, first to 9.2 and then to 10.0 going from 9.1 to 10.0 gave
me an error. Once you get to 10.0 the first reboot is alarming, the
userland has real trouble driving the kernel and the network doesn't start.
It's OK though freebsd-update install and reboot and your ready to
recompile all your ports or reinstall all your packages which you'll need
to do before everything you had before works again.

--
Steve O'Hara-Smith <steve at sohara.org>