No space left on device during freebsd-update install (stage 1)

Benjamin Lee ben at b1c1l1.com
Sat Feb 1 22:59:10 UTC 2014

On Sat, 1 Feb 2014 13:51:46 -0800, Patrick <gibblertron at gmail.com> wrote:
> $ sudo freebsd-update install
> Installing updates...
> /: write failed, filesystem is full
> install: ///boot/kernel/INS at 9Y2g: No space left on device
>
> Kernel updates have been installed.  Please reboot and run
> "/usr/sbin/freebsd-update install" again to finish installing updates.
>
> I was just doing an update from FreeBSD 9.2 to 10, and my root partition
> filled up on the first "install" stage (after running freebsd-update -r
> 10.0-RELEASE upgrade). Is there a way I can redo that first "freebsd-update
> install" step? I'm concerned that the files didn't get copied over fully,
> and rebooting may leave me with a broken system.
>
> *checks man page*
>
> Okay, so looks like I'll be doing freebsd-update rollback and start over.
> Seems like freebsd-update should detect an error like a write failed
> though...

You just need to install and boot into the new kernel before running
'freebsd-update install' again, e.g.:

* make buildkernel installkernel

OR

* download and extract the appropriate release kernel.txz for your arch
  (e.g. ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/amd64/10.0-RELEASE/)

Once you finish the full upgrade you should delete your data directory
(defaults to /var/db/freebsd-update) to avoid rolling back to an
inconsistent state in the future.

--
Benjamin Lee
http://www.b1c1l1.com/