Xwindow advise needed

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Wed Dec 31 09:33:58 UTC 2014

On Wed, 31 Dec 2014 10:02:08 +0100, Roland Smith wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 31, 2014 at 04:41:47AM +0100, Polytropon wrote:

> > > I use xfce.  The only thing that does not work on FreeBSD, as far as I
> > > know, is automounting.  There are other ways to do that.  I just
> > > manually mount stuff.  Otherwise, xfce has the standard desktop features
> > > without being resource-hungry or having a huge list of dependencies.
> >
> > The problem is not the automounter itself. It's its
> > integration with the GUI elements, in two ways:
> >
> > 1st, when the automounter mounts a device which has
> > been appearing, either by a label or by a device name,
> > this new mountpoint must be "picked up" by the GUI
> > and be shown on the desktop.
>
> It was my impression that the new automount/autofs in 10.1 does *not* do that.
> AFAICT it tries to mount a filesystem when a directory is accessed.
> Which is nice for say NFS or SMBFS, but doesn't cater to the common use of
> using a memstick.

As far as I remember, the system's amd itsel (not the
"automounter" port) is intended for exactly that task,
and primary targeting the use of NFS. It's not intended
primarily for the use with removable media, but _can_
be used for that task.

The different approach via devd (in Linux: based on
HAL and DBus, now deprecated, replaced by udisk et al.,
probably on the road to deprecation, replaced by kdbus)
is that if a matching device appears, the device is
being identified and mounted. A notification is then
provided in some way, for example via FAM (file alteration
monitor) that watches the mountpoint root directory
(for example /media) for a new entry, causing the GUI
to display an icon shortcut, with a context menu entry
of matching actions (like unmount). As there is no
"timeout", unmounting has to be ordered manually,
either by point & click, or via command line.

Today's automatical mounts have become a great mystery
to me, I don't entirely understand which parts are involved
in which way, and how they work, or why they work, so
I'd be happy about a working solution for the settings
where this is an "urgent" requirement... :-)

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany