Adding more swap for FreeBSD 10

Odhiambo Washington odhiambo at gmail.com
Mon Dec 29 20:45:15 UTC 2014

On 29 December 2014 at 23:09, Warren Block <wblock at wonkity.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 29 Dec 2014, Odhiambo Washington wrote:
>
>  This isn't an option in 10.x anymore. I tried it.
>>

> Using a swap file?  It is, I'm using it now.  However, if the swap file is
> on the root partition, it must be mounted late, and there are some bugs
> involved.

HI,

Because I have two identical disks, I destroyed everything on the 2nd disk
(meant for dump backups) and did:

bsdinstall scriptpart ada1 { 460G freebsd-ufs /, 5G freebsd-swap }

Then I mounted the swap from the second disk:-(

root at mail:/usr/home/wash # cat /etc/fstab
# Device        Mountpoint      FStype  Options Dump    Pass#
/dev/ada0a       /                   ufs     rw      1       1
/dev/ada1p2     /disk2           ufs     rw      1       1
/dev/ada1p3     none            swap    sw      0       0

But I'd like to use the free space on ada0 for swap!

The second disk should be partitioned like the first, then I will use dump
for backup on 2nd disk. This is a guard against disk failure only.

--
Best regards,
Odhiambo WASHINGTON,