Do I want to switch to the new pkg(8) format?

Chris Stankevitz chrisstankevitz at gmail.com
Fri Dec 26 23:24:11 UTC 2014

On Fri, Dec 26, 2014 at 3:11 PM, Warren Block <wblock at wonkity.com> wrote:
>> 1. Upgrading ports is not a "package management" operation.
>

> It is.  A port is compiled and a package created from it.  The old package
> is deleted and the new package installed.

How do I use pkg to upgrade all of my ports?  I think you said "use
pkg for all package management operations" but the handbook says use
"pkg upgrade" for binary packages and portmaster for ports.

> Well, cvs and pkg_* can be skipped, they are deprecated.
>
> portsnap update the ports tree (/usr/ports), not installed packages.
> portsclean similarly works on the ports tree, not installed packages.
>
> portmaster and portupgrade are port upgrade tools.  Both are functionally
> similar, mostly concerned with upgrading multiple ports and getting the
> dependencies in the right order.
>
> portmaster and portupgrade call 'make' to build and do other ports
> operations.  But the port Makefiles call the package management tools when
> it is time to delete or install packages, like after a new version of a port
> has been compiled and the make target was "install".

Thank you -- perhaps I should just stop beating around the bush and
directly ask: can someone give me a list of all the "package related"
tools what what they do?  Ideally the list will include the tools that
I should be using at the top and in a postscript the tools I should
not be using because they are too old or for whatever other reason.  I
find the handbook confusing... for example section 5.4 is titled "Use
pkg for binary package management" but you seem to feel otherwise...

Thank you,

Chris