FreeBSD 10.1-STABLE: UEFI booting from USB flash drive + FBSD system on HDD

Christian Baer christian.baer at uni-dortmund.de
Thu Dec 25 16:18:33 UTC 2014

Am 25.12.2014 um 15:32 schrieb Julien Meister:

> Any idea on how to make this work with UEFI? From what I understood, EFI
> tries to boot on the first ufs partition found. It should be therefore
> [FILE]da0p2[/FILE] ... but it isn't.

Not really a way to make it work like you want, but have you (or rather
why haven't you) considerd putting /boot on the HDD aswell? This way you
can have everything else encrypted.

If you init the geli provider with the -b flag and make sure geli is
loaded at boot time with geom_eli_load="YES" in the loader.conf,
everything should work fine. /boot does now contain any sensitive
information.

The reason I am suggesting this is because I have been nearly driven
crazy by UEFI on several machines because the device names seem to
change with nearly every boot. Admittedly, this is a problem I ran into
with SuSE Linux at work, but the problem seems the same: The devices are
"handed" to the kernel in a non-predictable order. Under SuSE this went
so far that a computer with 2 HDDs would sometimes not boot, just
because the kernel was fed the 2nd HDD as first. That is the short
version of a reason I read in an article about SuSE and UEFI.

SuSE by default uses hardware UIDs. That however is absolutely useless
if you are (like me at the time) installing the first of several
identical workstations in order to create an image off the drive for the
other machines.

I still haven't quite gotten on the good side of UEFI yet (see my other
post) and I really hope there actually *is* a good side!

Best regards,
Chris