Starting Tomcat with Security Manager

Tim Gustafson tjg at tgustafson.com
Tue Dec 23 23:24:27 UTC 2014

Hi,

I was reading on the Tomcat web site that in order to start Tomcat
with a security manager active, you have to pass the "-security" flag
when starting the server:

http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-8.0-doc/security-manager-howto.html

I tried adding that to my rc.conf like this:

tomcat8_java_opts="-security"

But that throws the following error on re-start:

Starting tomcat8.
Invalid option -security
Cannot parse command line arguments
/usr/local/etc/rc.d/tomcat8: WARNING: failed to start tomcat8

Googling for "freebsd tomcat security manager" found nothing.

Where is the proper place in FreeBSD to indicate to Tomcat that I want
it to run with the security manager enabled?

--

Tim Gustafson
tjg at tgustafson.com