Running X11 in a VirtualBox VM

Carl Johnson carlj at peak.org
Mon Dec 22 05:16:04 UTC 2014

zep <zgreenfelder at gmail.com> writes:

> On 12/21/2014 05:08 PM, Carl Johnson wrote:
>> I had been running X11 inside of a FreeBSD VM under VirtualBox, but it
>> refuses to run after the last upgrade a few days ago.  The only error is
>> that it can't open /usr/local/lib/dri/vboxvideo_dri.so.  The file
>> doesn't exist so that isn't surprising, but why is it necessary now?  I
>> don't really expect high performance, but I want something to run for
>> testing.  I did try booting the same system onto hardware and it ran
>> fine with my Radeon card.  The video drivers include xf86-video-vesa,
>> but it insists on trying to run the vboxvideo driver that doesn't exist.
>> I did try booting with vboxguest and vboxservice disabled, but there was
>> no change.
>>
>> The system is FreeBSD 10.1-RELEASE and here are a few of the possibly
>> relevant packages:
>> virtualbox-ose-additions-4.3.20_1
>> xf86-video-ati-7.5.0
>> xf86-video-vesa-2.3.3_4
>> xorg-7.7_1
>> xorg-drivers-7.7_2
>>
>> Is there some way to run this with software rendering?  Please let me
>> know if there is more information needed.  Thanks for any ideas.
>
> "after upgrade"?  who/which/what did you upgrade?   if you upgraded the
> virtualbox version on the host (the 'host' being the machine that
> provides resources for the 'guest' VMs [sorry, that's not meant to be
> downspeak, I just don't know if we'd be using the same terms for
> things]) then you likely need the virtualbox extensions installed to
> match your current version of virtualbox, if you updated the guest's
> kernel, then in my experience you'll need to once again install the VB
> additions (I normally install from the iso file included with
> virtualbox, I've never dealt with vb additions from the freebsd ports).

Thanks for your reply, and sorry that I wasn't clear.  I meant that I
had done a 'pkg upgrade' that had brought in new xorg packages, and they
wouldn't work as before.  The problem is already solved though, due to
the suggestion by Warren Block to add the option AIGLX OFF to the
ServerLayout section of the xorg.conf file.
Carl Johnson		carlj at peak.org