freebsd-update and boot environments clash - rm / attempted!

Dag-Erling Smørgrav des at des.no
Wed Dec 17 16:10:21 UTC 2014

Arthur Chance <freebsd at qeng-ho.org> writes:
> The following files will be removed as part of updating to 10.1-RELEASE-p2:
> /
>
> The following files will be updated as part of updating to 10.1-RELEASE-p2:
> [list snipped]
> Installing updates...rmdir: ///: Is a directory
>  done.
>
> Fortunately it didn't remove /, although I really don't understand
> that message.

Yes, we know.  We're not sure what causes it, but it is most likely
fallout from https://bugs.freebsd.org/bugzilla/195302.  The index
(/var/db/freebsd-update/instal.*/INDEX-NEW) lacks the entry for /.  It
is most likely a bug in freebsd-update, but we don't know whether it's
in the builder or the client.

DES
Dag-Erling Smørgrav - des at des.no