A pager with explicit (un)wrap-long-lines key bindings and/or options

parv at pair.com parv at pair.com
Wed Dec 17 13:33:59 UTC 2014

Nikos wrote on Wed Dec 17 12:24:38 UTC 2014 ...

> in message <20141217120919.GA91144 at holstein.holy.cow>,
> wrote parv at p thusly...
> >
> > I am looking for a pager that has EXPLICIT options and/or key bindings
> > (preferred) to set & unset wrapping of long lines[0].
> > Environment variable, LESS, is set to "-SsIXR -x4"[1]. less has
> > only a option to now wrap long lines (-S | --chop-long-lines).
> > Listed in the manual page is that default is not to wrap. (Well,
> > invoking less as "\less" does not override the "-S" in LESS.)
> >   [1] As to obvious reason to not set "-S" in LESS: setting the -S
> >       option is helpful most of the time where seeing extra
> >       characters can be deferred.
>
> While less is running, you can switch from chop to fold and
> reversely by pressing -S. Is this what you want?

Oh, yes! Exactly that behaviour is what I had wanted. Thanks, Nikos.

That reminded me to re-read the option modification section, in
particular ...

  -+  Followed by one of the command line  option  letters  this  will
      reset  the  option  to  its  default setting and print a message
      describing the new setting.  (The "-+X" command  does  the  same
      thing  as "-+X"  on  the command line.)  This does not work for
      string-valued options.
  -!  Followed  by  one  of the command line option letters, this will
      reset the option to the "opposite" of its  default  setting  and
      print  a message describing the new setting.  This does not work
      for numeric or string-valued options.

... so sending text to "less -+S" via pipe worked as expected.

And, that stalled the creation of vi(m)-as-pager until some later
date. To that end ...

  Pipe Vim buffer to stdout
  http://stackoverflow.com/questions/10686183/pipe-vim-buffer-to-stdout