pkg assertion failed

Lowell Gilbert freebsd-questions-local at be-well.ilk.org
Tue Dec 16 15:42:02 UTC 2014

Luca Ferrari <fluca1978 at infinito.it> writes:

> On Tue, Dec 16, 2014 at 11:16 AM, Luca Ferrari <fluca1978 at infinito.it> wrote:
>> Seems a problem with the package database to me, what should I do? I'm
>> running 10.1-release.
>
> Apparently it was a mix-mismatch of ports and packages.
> Issuing a

Well, not literally. Once installed, there is no difference. In fact,
these days building a port works by building a package without
installing anything, and then installing that.

> # pkg udate
> # pkg upgrade
>
> fixed the problem.

The problem is having some of your installed packages out of synch with
each other. "pkg upgrade" is, indeed, the easy way to fix this (just
remember to check UPDATING first, as with any method of upgrading the
installed packages).