Maybe somebody knows a good Bourne Shell book or tutorial?

Robert Bonomi bonomi at mail.r-bonomi.com
Mon Dec 15 21:39:22 UTC 2014

> From owner-freebsd-questions at freebsd.org  Thu Dec 11 13:22:19 2014
> Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2014 21:44:44 -0800
> From: Yuri <yuri at rawbw.com>
> To: FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions at freebsd.org>
> Subject: Maybe somebody knows a good Bourne Shell book or tutorial?
>
> Asking here because it is used in FreeBSD a lot.
>
> Most google queries about Bourne Shell aspects bring answers like this:
> Not sure, but if this was in bash, you could <blah blah blah> ....
> And most documents found online aren't comprehensive, and only cover
> beginner questions. No books on amazon look promising either.
>
> There are some quite tricky areas and questions about sh and hard to
> find information.
>
> Anybody knows of some good book that would cover all essential issues of
> Bourne shell programming?

for _good_ computer books, see O'Reilly & Associates   http://www.ora.com

They have at least half-a-dozen titles on shell scripting, depending on
which varient you want.   I don't think they still have anything on the
actual Bourne shell, but the POSIX-standard sh is Bourne with only a little
added syntactic sugar.