Two local X-servers

Victor Sudakov vas at mpeks.tomsk.su
Tue Dec 9 13:36:57 UTC 2014

Colleagues,

I would like to run two local X-servers on the same desktop box, like
maybe one on :0 and the other on :1. How do I do that?

Currently i run xdm from /etc/ttys like this:

# grep xdm\  /etc/ttys
ttyv8   "/usr/local/bin/xdm -nodaemon"  xterm   on secure

# grep -v ^# /usr/local/lib/X11/xdm/Xservers
:0 Digital-QV local /usr/local/bin/X -ac -nolisten tcp :0

When I add another line to /usr/local/lib/X11/xdm/Xservers like
:1 Digital-QV local /usr/local/bin/X -ac -nolisten tcp :1

nothing good happens. I cannot switch into another X-server with
Alt+Fn or any other key combination. I think another X-server is
not even started.

Is there a good recipe?

Thank you in advance for any input.

--