Pkg upgrade 'SAT solver' problem

Arthur Chance freebsd at qeng-ho.org
Tue Dec 9 12:59:40 UTC 2014

On 08/12/2014 21:59, Peter Harrison wrote:
> On 8 December 2014 at 21:28, pete wright <nomadlogic at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Mon, Dec 8, 2014 at 12:18 PM, Peter Harrison
>> <four.harrisons at googlemail.com> wrote:
>>> Can someone help with a pkg upgrade problem please?
>>>
>>> I've been relying solely on binary pkg for a while now without problem.
>>> However, on doing the latest upgrade I get:
>>>
>>> root at thinkpad:/home/peter # pkg upgrade
>>> Updating FreeBSD repository catalogue...
>>> FreeBSD repository is up-to-date.
>>> All repositories are up-to-date.
>>> Checking for upgrades (377 candidates): 100%
>>> Checking integrity... done (1 conflicting)
>>> pkg: Cannot solve problem using SAT solver:
>>> cannot install package libxfce4util~x11/libxfce4util, remove it from
>>> request? [Y/n]: n
>>> pkg: cannot solve job using SAT solver
>>>
>>> If I answer 'y' I get a much longer sequence of similar errors and the
>>> upgrade still bombs.
>>
>> is this related to the upgrade of gettext?  As per /usr/ports/UPDATING:
>>
>> "20141130:
>>    AFFECTS: users of devel/gettext (close to everyone)
>>    AUTHOR: tijl at FreeBSD.org
>>
>>    The devel/gettext port has been split up in devel/gettext-runtime, a
>>    lightweight package containing runtime libraries, and devel/gettext-tools,
>>    a package containing developer tools.  The devel/gettext port still exists
>>    as a metaport.
>>
>>    You must first delete the existing installation of gettext and then
>>    reinstall it.  This will break sudo, so you *must* do this in a root
>>    shell (sudo -i) if you use sudo.
>> "
>>
>> I did an upgrade last week and this package pretty much broke
>> everything (including most of xfce4) causing me to do a pretty big
>> uninstall/reinstall dance.  Of course if I read /usr/ports/UPDATING
>> first I would have saved myself some drama :)
>>
>> Cheers,
>> -pete
>>
>> --
>> pete wright
>> www.nycbug.org
>> @nomadlogicLA
>
> Thanks - sounds about right but...
>
> root at thinkpad:/home/peter # pkg delete -f gettext
> Checking integrity... done (0 conflicting)
> Deinstallation has been requested for the following 1 packages (of 0
> packages in the universe):
>
> Installed packages to be REMOVED:
> gettext-0.19.3
>
> Proceed with deinstalling packages? [y/N]: y
> [1/1] Deleting gettext-0.19.3: 100%
> root at thinkpad:/home/peter # pkg upgrade
> Updating FreeBSD repository catalogue...
> FreeBSD repository is up-to-date.
> All repositories are up-to-date.
> Checking for upgrades (377 candidates): 100%
> Checking integrity... done (1 conflicting)
> pkg: Cannot solve problem using SAT solver:
> cannot install package libxfce4util~x11/libxfce4util, remove it from
> request? [Y/n]:
>

> Still no dice. Any ideas?

When was your previous upgrade? If it was before 2014-11-26 you may have
been caught by the switch from perl 5.16 to 5.18. That required a

	pkg upgrade -f

although that's time consuming and can't be done under sudo (see
devel/gettext note).

Alternatively trying "pkg check -Ba" and "pkg check -da" might shake
something loose.

--
Those who do not learn from computing history are doomed to
GOTO 1