Difference between fetch(1) and firefox http-access

O. Hartmann ohartman at zedat.fu-berlin.de
Mon Dec 8 10:01:02 UTC 2014

On Mon, 8 Dec 2014 16:19:01 +0700
Olivier Nicole <olivier.nicole at cs.ait.ac.th> wrote:

> Olivier,
>
> > Running CURRENT (FreeBSD 11.0-CURRENT #2 r275512: Fri Dec  5
> > 16:00:34 CET 2014 amd64), I ran into some kind of obscurity I can
> > not fathom.
> >
> > Updating ports fails since a couple of days by now (I do updates on
> > a daily basis). fetch isn't capable of reaching any(!) server it
> > tries to download sourcecode tarballs from (neither via ports ftp,
> > http, https).
> >
> > When manually copied the sources of the tarball to Firefox' URL
> > requester, I can luckily download the sources to whatever
> > destination I like and I have to copy them to
> > the /usr/ports/distfiles[/blabla] destination manually.
>
> Did you try to fetch the source manually: fetch URL...

Yes I did, no success, see below for the magic solution of the
"problem" ...

> Just to confirm/infirm the problem with fetch. Do you have some
> HTTP_PROXY env variable set?

That was the hint of the hints. I swapped from a "secured" environment
back to a more open and forgot to reset/unset the http_proxy and
ftp_proxy environment variables :-( I wasn't aware of the fact that I
had set them. So, the problem is bewtween my eyes ...

Sorry for the noise, many thanks for the quick solution ...

Oliver