Dropping audio in ffmpeg conversion

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Sun Dec 7 03:14:00 UTC 2014

On Sun, 7 Dec 2014 11:21:08 +1100, andrew clarke wrote:
> On Sat 2014-12-06 23:43:58 UTC+0100, Polytropon (freebsd at edvax.de) wrote:
>
> > I'm searching for a convenient way to drop audio from
> > an AVI file (video and audio) upon conversion to MP4.
> > My tool of choice is ffmpeg, which works perfectly fine
> > with the default options:
> >
> > 	% ffmpeg -i in.avi out.mp4
>
> ffmpeg -i in.avi -an out.mp4
>
> Order of the arguments is important. This won't work as expected:
>
> ffmpeg -an -i in.avi out.mp4

Thanks to all who answered - this is exactly what I needed,
and it works as expected. You may conclude the amount of my
stupidity by the fact that I did _not_ find this in "man ffmpeg",
even though an explicit search for "-an" answered the question. ;-)

By the way, the SYOPSIS on top of "man ffmpeg" states the
fact that input options come first, _then_ output options.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany