Dropping audio in ffmpeg conversion

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Sat Dec 6 22:44:02 UTC 2014

I'm searching for a convenient way to drop audio from
an AVI file (video and audio) upon conversion to MP4.
My tool of choice is ffmpeg, which works perfectly fine
with the default options:

	% ffmpeg -i in.avi out.mp4

The quality loss, the "pixelated" and "blocky" output
is what I expect, and the result file is small. I just
can't find a way to get rid of audio (which I don't
need). Reading "man ffmeg" told me about "sinks" which
"do nothing", but I'm too stupid to conclude how to use
them properly. What I want to have is a converted video
with no audio track at all (also smaller file size).

Can ffmpeg do this, or do I have to "preprocess" the
input file with mencoder somehow?

Does anybody know how to proceed?

--
Polytropon