Mounting swap without device name

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Sat Dec 6 00:02:44 UTC 2014

On Sat, 06 Dec 2014 00:50:50 +0100, Christian Baer wrote:
> Changing device IDs can be a pain. Adding a hard drive to my system results
> in the system not booting anymore because the device name for / changes
> after the second drive is detected. I have overcome this by having an fstab
> like this:
>
> # Device        Mountpoint      FStype  Options Dump    Pass#
> /dev/ufs/root   /               ufs     rw      1       1
> /dev/ada0s3b    none            swap    sw      0       0
> /dev/ufs/var    /var            ufs     rw      2       2
> /dev/ufs/usr    /usr            ufs     rw      2       2
> proc            /proc           procfs  rw      0       0
>
> As is plain to see, my machine boots from an MBR drive (in this case an
> SSD). Note the swap drive however. I have not found a way so far to label
> the swap partition in a way that I can make the system find it at boot time.
>
> Is there a way to do this and if so, then how?

With "glabel label" - you cannot use a UFS label (like for
the partitions shown in your /etc/fstab) because swap does
not have a file system, but you can use gpart to attach a
label to the partition itself. It could be "/dev/label/swap"
(note: not "/dev/ufs/swap" for mentioned reasons).

More information here:

http://www.wonkity.com/~wblock/docs/html/disksetup.html#_the_old_standard_mbr

--
Polytropon