FreeBSD working from RAM (MFSROOT) as a Workstation.

Lowell Gilbert freebsd-questions-local at be-well.ilk.org
Fri Dec 5 15:48:25 UTC 2014

Oops. Sent that last message before I meant to. One more comment.

RW <rwmaillists at googlemail.com> writes:

> An alternative might be to do a conventional boot and then kick-off a
> background script that pre-caches as much of the SSD as will fit in the
> remaining free memory. I'd try this first because it's a lot less
> trouble and will give a reasonable indication of how much thing can be
> speeded-up (at least until the cache is driven-out by something else).

I used to do something like this back when disks were slower. I can't
remember why I stopped. Rather than boot time, it started a few seconds
after I started an X session. I recall I spent a little time tuning it
to minimize CPU consumption, but nothing all that tricky. Maybe I'll dig
it out of my backups and see if it's a noticeable help today.