Backup solution for freeBSD/Symantec Backup exec porting

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Fri Dec 5 01:00:28 UTC 2014

On Fri, 5 Dec 2014 07:00:33 +0700, Olivier Nicole wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > It's kinda hard for a hacker to format all the tapes
> > in a library furthermore, some tapes will be put in a safe...
>
> Understanding that putting the tape away in a safe is a manual thing,
> you could also put an HD in a safe...

Still it's an important reminder about actual _access_
to backups. Of course it's very comfortable to access
all the backup media without manual (human) intervention,
but it can be dangerous. Imagine a situation like what
Cryptolocker malware usually does: It encrypts anything
it can access, and if it can find the backups, they will
be useless in any attempt to restore the system. I'm sure
it's more complicated to encrypt tapes (in an ATL) than
disks, but it's still dangerous when they can be accessed
"too easily".

> One thing I like about the HD solution is that you need nothing to
> access your files (at least with Amanda): only dd(1) and tar(1); it
> can work even if Amanda server is dead.

Exactly, and there is no proprietary (and undocumented)
file format involed, or manufacturer-specific connectors
and access protocols. This is unimportant as long as
everything works as expected, but it may become essential
in a worst-case scenario.

> In fall 2011, we were flooded and had to move the datacenter. I packed
> the minimum amount of servers, but I also packed the backup HD,
> knowing that I could use them with no backup server)

On-site and off-site method - where off-site actually
means "somewhere else", instead of putting them next
to each other. ;-)

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany