Backup solution for freeBSD/Symantec Backup exec porting

Olivier Nicole olivier.nicole at cs.ait.ac.th
Thu Dec 4 05:51:41 UTC 2014

Hi,

> As for storage, I might suggest a RAID5 or RAID6 with 4 TB SATA drives.  The
> drives are pretty much going to be write once and read a few, pretty static
> in other words.

Depending on the type of back-up you need, no RAID may be better. It
really depends on what you intend to do with your data.

>   Also, if you want
> to keep growing the repository, they have 45 disk expansion chassis.

You mean 72 ;)

> The
> other issue is keeping the disk powered and online.  That's power and heat.
> More $$$ versus tape.

Considering it's back-up, you don't need to have the disks spinning
24/7. Automount should be able to spin-up the disk before mounting and
sping-down after dismounting.

BR,

Olivier