Issue with swap file

Andre Goree andre at drenet.net
Wed Dec 3 23:24:27 UTC 2014

On 12/03/2014 5:10 pm, Lowell Gilbert wrote:
> Andre Goree <andre at drenet.net> writes:
>
>> Several months ago, I followed the procedure here[1] for creating a
>> swap file.  This worked great for a long time, up until my last reboot
>> which coincided with an update to 10.1.
>>
>> agoree at fbsd10-atl ~ % grep swap /etc/fstab
>> md99            none            swap    sw,file=/usr/swap 0     0
>> agoree at fbsd10-atl ~ % sudo swapon -a
>> swapon: mdconfig (attach) error: md99 on file=/usr/swap
>>
>> I've also tried zero-writing the file again, to no avail.  Any ideas?
>>
>> [1] https://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/adding-swap-space.html
>
> Strange, I haven't run into any problems. And annoying that the error
> message is so unhelpful. When that error message gets printed, swapon
> has tried to run mdconfig and gotten an error back, but has no idea
> what
> the problem was. At that point, it has already checked that the md
> device is available, which eliminates my best guess at a diagnosis.
>
> The way you can get more information is by running the mdconfig command
> by hand, just as swapon would have, and see what *it* reports to you.
> 	mdconfig -a -t vnode -n -f /usr/swap
>
> Very likely, it will tell you exactly what to fix.

I tried creating a new one (hence the '/usr/swap0' vs. '/usr/swap' in
the output below) and still got the same error.  Here's the
[disheartening] output from the command you gave:

agoree at fbsd10-atl ~ % sudo swapon -a
swapon: mdconfig (attach) error: md99 on file=/usr/swap0
agoree at fbsd10-atl ~ % sudo mdconfig -a -t vnode -n -f /usr/swap0

                                                0

--
Andre Goree
Email     - andre at drenet.net