firefox bookmarks verifier

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Wed Dec 3 09:02:04 UTC 2014

On Wed, 03 Dec 2014 16:21:42 +0800, Ernie Luzar wrote:
> Everything I read on firefox website everyone is complaining that they
> (firefox developers] used a bastardized version of .json4 which is a
> compressed version.
> There is no way to read the file.

This must be "new". Older versions of Firefox did use
a simple text-based format (HTML and uncompressed JSON).
If your description is true, it really sounds terrible
and against the idea of interoperability (traditionally
an important attribute of quality for UNIX and Linux
programs).

As I said, my Firefox here is very old, and it uses a
kind of "stripped down" HTML for bookmarks, very easy
to deal with; the subdirectory bookmarkbackups/ contains
JSON files, not compressed, just "one-liners", also
easy to deal with (at least by using a JSON access
library).

> This is going to force me to leave
> firefox and move to something else that has a favorites/bookmarks style
> like MS browser

You can use Opera: Its bookmarks file ~/.opera/bookmarks.adr
is easy to pars, it contains "name=value" pairs, prefixed
by a "#URL" or "#FOLDER" that indicates what the entry is,
so it's easy to parse, verify, and recombine. You don't
need complicated import/export tools here.

Also check out Chromium.

> What ever were firefox developers thinking??? Smoking to much weed at
> work!!!!

They probably did not assume that someone is so stupid
to expect to be able to verify the validity of stored
bookmark entries. ;-)

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany