UPS for FreeBSD

Erich Dollansky erichsfreebsdlist at alogt.com
Tue Dec 2 02:39:09 UTC 2014

Hi,

On Mon, 1 Dec 2014 12:39:24 -0500
Alejandro Imass <aimass at yabarana.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Nov 30, 2014 at 12:33 AM, John Johnstone
> <jjohnstone at tridentusa.com> wrote:
>
> Why do switching power supplies really care about the input wave
> form? Most switching power supplies rectify with a full bridge and
> capacitors and then switch from that rectified DC so why would it
> care about the incoming waveform? So long as it's oscillating,
> square, sine or triangular should work just the same.

the average volage over a square is much higher than over a sine. If
the components are not designed for this, they will fail. You can see
this effect by connecting a light bulb to an UPS and switch mains off
an on again. The smaller the difference in brightness gets, the better
the UPS emulates a sine. Of course, the life time of the light bulb
gets reduced.

> I think HF components would get filtered by design in the first few
> stages of the switching PS so I don't understand why pure, or close
> to pure sine wave is really important. What components are really at
> risk from poor sine-wave inverter? Besides, UPS are designed to power
> the equipment for a short period (either to shut-down or activate a
> backup generator), so in reality there is that much more risk by
> using a cheaper UPS? IS the price difference really worth it?

This is the question. Most power supplies will be able to handle the
square waveform. Escpecially modern power supplies being able to handle
any voltage from 100 to 250V.

> Or is it all technical mumbo-jumbo to charge a lot more for "pure sine
> wave", which honestly does NOT need sophisticated components like
> someone said. It can be accomplished with a simple saw-tooth (with 2
> OP-Amps one as integrator and another one as comparator) and a
> low-pass filter (a coil of wire). Inverter circuitry is really not
> that complex and good sine-wave approximations are not that hard to
> do. I am pretty sure a typical switching PS will do just fine if you
> feed the square wave or an unfiltered saw-tooth sine wave into it.

It is the volume. When the cheaper UPSes appeared, their price
advantage was pretty minor.

I wonder meanwhile if it is not cheaper to use an inverter used in
solar panel installations. At least for larger inverters, they have a
clear price advantage but require batteries which are not available at
the next corner shop.

Erich