Ports question ....

Arthur Chance freebsd at qeng-ho.org
Fri Aug 29 13:45:18 UTC 2014

On 29/08/2014 13:59, William A. Mahaffey III wrote:
[huge snip]

> I have been using portsnap, I just couldn't figure out how to get it to
> tell me what ports had been updated since I last fetched (w/o fetching
> again) ....

It's my experience that you don't want to be told which ports have been
updated, as most updates are to ports you're not the slightest bit
interested in. There are nearly 25,000 ports according to FreshPorts and
I personally have only about 400 installed on my desktop machine (and
far fewer on my servers). That means on average I'm totally uninterested
in 98+% of all port updates.

What you need to know is what *installed* ports are out of date with
respect to the new ports tree. That's where the 400.status-pkg periodic
script is useful. I update my ports tree via a crontab entry at 23:00 on
Fridays, and the weekly periodic script runs at 4:15 on Saturday, so I
get mail every Saturday morning telling me which installed ports are out
of date.