Ports question ....

Jungle Boogie jungleboogie0 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 28 22:40:10 UTC 2014

Dear William,
From: William A. Mahaffey III <wam at hiwaay.net>
Sent:  Thu, 28 Aug 2014 17:12:11 -0500
To: freebsd-questions at freebsd.org
Subject: Re: Ports question ....

> On 08/28/14 15:31, Andrew Berg wrote:
>> On 2014.08.28 15:16, William A. Mahaffey III wrote:
>>>
>>> I think that is what I am asking .... To be more precise, how often
>>> should I check to see if it is updated, weekly, monthly, other .... I
>>> guess that is the nub of the question ....
>> The ports tree is updated whenever someone makes a commit to update/fix a port,
>> or to update/fix the ports infrastructure. Given its size, this means frequency
>> is on the order of minutes. Portsnap and Subversion will both list any changes
>> you pull in when you update your copy.
>>
>> http://svnweb.freebsd.org/ports/head/?sortby=date#dirlist
>
> Is there a way to get the list of changes since I last pulled it down w/o
> actually doing the download ? That way, if nothing I needed was upgraded, I
> could spend the time elsewhere ....

So you want to know what changes occurred without actually getting anything?
As I explained, updating your ports directory doesn't actually update your
installed applications. So I recommend following the link that Andrew provided.

If you're concerned about time, install and use tmux[0] and just wait for
portsnap fetch update to complete.

Is there any reason you NEED to use ports? Are you setting special
configuration options? Have you tried out packages yet?

Thanks,
Jungle

[0] http://www.bsdnow.tv/tutorials/ssh-tmux

--