Half-Height (Mini-PCIe/PCI) Wireless NIC/Dongle (with HOSTAP Support) Recommendation

Jasvinder S. Bahra bbdl21548 at blueyonder.co.uk
Wed Aug 27 22:04:27 UTC 2014

Everyone,

I have a system which acts as a network router/internet gateway.  I would
like to add a wireless NIC to it so as to allow authorised devices to
wirelessly connect to the network/internet.

I've had a read through of the Wireless Networking page of the handbook, and
I have determined that I will be setting up a 802.11 network in
infrastructure (BSS) mode.  I would like the system to act as an wireless
access point using WPA with EAP-TLS or EAP-PEAP (note that i'm aware that
this is massively overkill for a small home network but *shrugs* that's what
I would like to do).

There are some additional requirements...

1) The wireless NIC must slot into either a half-height Mini-PCI Express
slot or a half-height PCI slot.  Alternatively, some kind of dongle or
external unit that can be plugged-in into a USB port would also be
acceptable.
2) The wireless NIC must support HOSTAP mode (a requirement for the system
to act as an access point)

I've checked some of the driver documentation, but the cards listed on the
man pages don't appear to be available anymore.

Can anyone point me in the direction of something that meets all these
requirements?

Regards,

Jazz