some ZFS questions

Andrew McRae anm at pobox.com
Tue Aug 26 15:14:11 UTC 2014

On 25 Aug 2014, at 04:23, Warren Block <wblock at wonkity.com> wrote:

> On Sun, 24 Aug 2014, Michael Sierchio wrote:

>>> I thought that was a Solaris-only limitation.  In fact, I'm pretty sure it
>>> is, and does not apply on FreeBSD.
>>
>> You mean Solaris-only benefit?
>
> No, I mean that the disk cache problem was only on Solaris, and does not apply to FreeBSD.  On FreeBSD, there is no difference in performance between partitions versus the whole disk.

Actually the problem never existed in the first place. It’s an urban myth based on a misunderstanding of the fact that when presented with a whole disk, ZFS tries to enable the disk’s write cache. (And that generally has no effect, except for some old Sun-branded disks that shipped with the write cache disabled, as I understand it.)

Here’s the code, still in FreeBSD:
https://svnweb.freebsd.org/base/stable/10/sys/cddl/contrib/opensolaris/uts/common/fs/zfs/vdev_disk.c?view=markup#l569

Another comment: http://marc.info/?l=zfs-discuss&m=134022989322125