Has the Procedure for Regenerating A FreeBSD Installation Disk Changed?

Roland Smith rsmith at xs4all.nl
Mon Aug 25 19:31:12 UTC 2014

On Mon, Aug 25, 2014 at 07:54:52AM -0500, Martin G. McCormick wrote:
> Roland Smith writes:
> > Could it be that your filesystem is full?
> >
> > Although I don't have FreeBSD-9.1-RELEASE-amd64-disc1.iso around, I tried
> > the
> > tar command with FreeBSD-10.0-RELEASE-amd64-disc1.iso and that unpacks
> > just
> > fine.
> 	An excellent question so I tried the exact same procedure
> on another FreeBSD9 system and got precisely the same results
> down to the outputs of the two attempts comparing perfectly.

Which version of tar are you using? Mine is:

    > tar --version
    bsdtar 3.1.2 - libarchive 3.1.2

> 	I think I should try FreeBSD-10.0-RELEASE-amd64-disc1.iso
> to see what happens. I really need to use 9.1 since this is a
> replacement for a FreeBSD9.1 system that is failing,

Why not just use 10.0 if it is a replacement? IIRC, there haven't been great
incompatible library changes for several major releases (correct me if I'm
wrong). E.g, currently I'm using the official TUG TeXLive binaries which were
compiled for 7.2. They still work fine on 10.0.

If you have old binaries that rely on old version of the system libraries you
can always install one of the misc/compat ports.

Roland
--
R.F.Smith                                   http://rsmith.home.xs4all.nl/
pgp: 5753 3324 1661 B0FE 8D93  FCED 40F6 D5DC A38A 33E0 (keyID: A38A33E0)