wpa_supplicant questions

David Benfell benfell at parts-unknown.org
Sun Aug 24 21:59:52 UTC 2014

Hi all,

With my notebook system, I wander various places and have to alter the
wpa supplicant configuration for some of these places. (Fortunately,
this proved easier than I expected and the initial installation
provided example entries that, gee, I know work.)

I then need to restart the network, sometimes overriding an
association wpa_supplicant may already have made.

'service netif restart' seems inadequate and I have been having to
reboot--an elaborate process because the notebook is UEFI and won't
boot legacy-style off the hard disk.

What is the correct incantation to do this?

Also, how does one escape an apostrophe in an SSID, as in "Nature's
Express" (the SSID at a vegan restaurant in North Berkeley), in the
wpa supplicant configuration?

Finally, does 'ifconfig scan' output indicate signal strength? At a
conference I attended yesterday, they had several similarly named
access points to choose from (the ability to use a wildcard would have
been helpful as they all take the same password), but I did not know
which I should choose. As you can imagine, this compounded the above
difficulties--I wound up abandoning my attempt to use my FreeBSD
notebook in this situation.

Thanks!
--
David Benfell <benfell at parts-unknown.org>