Still Trying to do a Headless Installation.

Martin G. McCormick martin at server1.shellworld.net
Sat Aug 23 18:58:54 UTC 2014

I need to do a headless installation of FreeBSD9.1 to build a
replacement server for an existing 9.1 system. After an attempt
to make a bootable USB drive resulted in the world growing a
couple of days older and no usable boot media, I fell back to
the older procedure of modifying the ISO image which has it's
own particular set of issues. I successfully mounted the image
on a FreeBSD system and prepared to copy the file system now in
/mnt to a read-write file system. Here is what I did as root
based on the Advanced Installation section of the Handbook:

#	mkdir headless
 #tar -C headless -pvxf FreeBSD-9.1-RELEASE-amd64-disc1.iso
A great spew erupts:

usr/lib/libarchive.so.5: Can't create 'usr/lib/libarchive.so.5'
usr/lib/libasn1.so.10: Can't create 'usr/lib/libasn1.so.10'
usr/lib/libauditd.so.5: Can't create 'usr/lib/libauditd.so.5'

and on and on, quite impressive. It looks like except for the
libraries not being copied that the rest of the file system does
un-tar.

	I remember in the past doing this same process with
older FreeBSD versions and we also got warnings about some files
being created in the wrong order but the images worked and were
essentially the same size as the original image.
	Any ideas as to what is wrong, here?
Thanks. This is turning in to a career in and of itself.

Martin McCormick