Mounting One of the memstick Image Files

Martin G. McCormick martin at server1.shellworld.net
Fri Aug 22 00:37:56 UTC 2014

	Sometimes, one runs in to an amazing amount of trouble
trying to do the simplest things. I need to modify
FreeBSD-9.1-RELEASE-amd64-memstick.img to enable a serial
console. It involves adding only one more line to
/boot/loader.conf. Dirt simple, right? Well, maybe. I have a
Debian system with USB ports and a virtual FreeBSD system hosted
by a Mac. The USB ports on the Mac are not passed through to the
FreeBSD VM and technical difficulties are likely to prevent me
from modifying the VirtualBox VM to set this up. No, you don't
want to hear that story.

	So, if I could mount FreeBSD-9.1-RELEASE-amd64-memstick.img, read/write,
make the change, write back to the image and then copy the image
back to the Debian system, I could still accomplish what needs
to be done.
	I am sure the mount process is similar to mounting an
ISO image, but what type description goes in the -t flag?
	In all of this, I also discovered that you can't mount
the ufs file system in Debian although it almost happens. The
mount appears to work but one gets a spew of I/O errors any time
one does anything in what should be the UFS tree.
	I think I also read that if you recompile the Debian
kernel, you can mount ufs read-only which doesn't help anyway.
	This is definitely in the "For want of a nail, a shoe
was lost" department.
	Many thanks.

Martin McCormick