pure X11, i.e. non-gnome/KDE/etc. desktop clocks ....

Roland Smith rsmith at xs4all.nl
Mon Aug 18 18:13:49 UTC 2014

On Mon, Aug 18, 2014 at 09:38:38AM -0500, William A. Mahaffey III wrote:

> On 08/18/14 09:21, Polytropon wrote:
> > On Mon, 18 Aug 2014 09:18:25 -0500, William A. Mahaffey III wrote:
> >> I had a gnome-gdesklet clock app running on my old FC14 desktop box,
> >> gave a clock described as 'WWII RAF squadron wall clock'. There is a
> >> port of gnome-gdesklets clock (*gdesklets-clock-0.32_14
> >> <http://svnweb.FreeBSD.org/ports/head/x11-clocks/gdesklets-clock>) *....
> >> I am looking for something similar for the XFCE desktop, i.e. simple
> >> largish analog clock desktop app, *no* gnome/KDE/etc. .... anyone know
> >> if there is one available ?
> > How about the classic, xclock? Or oclock?
> >
> >> I am searching ports on FreeBSD.org as I
> >> write this, but w/ 24K+ entries, it could be a while :-/ .... Can anyone
> >> save me some time here :-) ???? TIA
> > See /usr/ports/x11-clocks/oclock for more inspiration, there
> > are several clocks in this category which do not require you
> > to install a whole desktop environment just to see what time
> > it is. :-)
> >
> > Additionally to xclock, I'm also using intclock to check the
> > time in other places of the world relevant for me.
>
> oclock available as pkg, just installed it, usable for now, still pining
> for my RAF clock :-/ .... Thx ....

There is even a separate ports category just for X11 clocks:

# ls /usr/ports/x11-clocks/
Makefile                       gdesklets-ebichuclock/         t3d/
abclock/                       glclock/                       tclock/
aclock/                        gtubeclock/                    tktz/
alarm-clock/                   intclock/                      wmbday/
alltraxclock/                  kdetoys4/                      wmbinclock/
amor/                          kteatime/                      wmblueclock/
asclock/                       ktimer/                        wmcalclock/
asclock-gtk/                   ktux/                          wmclock/
asclock-xlib/                  lmclock/                       wmclockmon/
astime/                        mlclock/                       wmfishtime/
astzclock/                     mouseclock/                    wmfuzzy/
bbdate/                        oclock/                        wmtime/
bclock/                        osdclock/                      wmtimer/
buici-clock/                   pclock/                        xalarm/
cairo-clock/                   plasma-applet-adjustableclock/ xclock/
dclock/                        plasma-applet-geekclock/       xdaliclock/
emiclock/                      rclock/                        xfce4-datetime-plugin/
eyeclock/                      sanduhr/                       xfce4-timer-out-plugin/
gdesklets-clock/               stopwatch/                     xfce4-timer-plugin/
gdesklets-countdown/           swisswatch/                    xtimer/

E.g. cairo-clock is themable; http://gnome-look.org/?xcontentmode=186

Take your pick. :-)

Roland
--
R.F.Smith                                   http://rsmith.home.xs4all.nl/
pgp: 5753 3324 1661 B0FE 8D93  FCED 40F6 D5DC A38A 33E0 (keyID: A38A33E0)