Flash plugin ?

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Sun Aug 17 13:06:05 UTC 2014

On Sun, 17 Aug 2014 07:58:03 -0500, William A. Mahaffey III wrote:
> OK, to install that port, all I should have to do is cd to
> /usr/ports/www/nspluginwrapper/ & type in 'make insatll', right ?
> Remember, new to FreeBSD :-) ....

Yes, but that's only a part of the process. If I remember correctly,
this also involves installing the Linux "Flash" (because there is
no "Flash" plugin for FreeBSD) in combination with the Linux support
subsystem. This dependency will be installed automatically, but it
may take some time.

As root, run

	# ln -s /usr/local/lib/npapi/linux-f10-flashplugin/libflashplayer.so /usr/local/lib/browser_plugins/

After installation, execute from your user's account:

	% nspluginwrapper -a -v -i

Again, it's worth mentioning that following the steps in 7.2.1.2.
should bring you the full functionality. Firefox has always been
my "Flash"-free browser, whereas I use "Flash" with Opera, which
works perfectly good and is also described in the Handbook.

To repeat the relevant source:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/desktop-browsers.html

I'd like to mention that "Flash" support on FreeBSD isn't worse
than on any other platform I've tried it, even if a native plugin
is supplied. But for keeping up with the latest week's fashions
of HTML5, Javascript frameworks, CSS tricks and so on, make sure
to use a current browser. Firefox is the best solution currently
available, but Chromium is also acceptable. The "web experience"
on FreeBSD isn't inferior to other platforms.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany