Putting my new FreeBSD 9.3 desktop online ....

Warren Block wblock at wonkity.com
Sat Aug 16 19:03:20 UTC 2014

On Sat, 16 Aug 2014, Polytropon wrote:

> Why did I abandon Xfce? Because it's not "portable enough"
> anymore. It's a "mostly Linux" desktop environment where the
> attempt of running it on FreeBSD leads to despair - it's not
> trivial to set up anymore, and functionality is lacking.

I don't understand this.  xfce works quite well for me.  There is no
automounter, and a few years back, I wrote one.  But doing that well is
non-trivial, so I just manually mount things now.  Otherwise, I can't
think of much that xfce does not do.  It does not have preferences
settings for positioning multiple monitors, which I think is nothing to
do with FreeBSD.

LXDE might be fine, it's been a while since I tried it.  Back then, it
did not seem to have an integrated way of handling desktop icons.  For
me, that's not a big deal, but I tend to look at minimal desktops as
something to give to ex-Windows users.