Putting my new FreeBSD 9.3 desktop online ....

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Sat Aug 16 12:21:24 UTC 2014

On Sat, 16 Aug 2014 06:50:42 -0500, William A. Mahaffey III wrote:
> [...] I just do a console login,
> then type startx & all is well. I normally stay logged in for long
> periods (weeks/months), so this doesn't come up often ....

You _could_ add the following to your ~/.login file:

	[ ! -f /tmp/.X0-lock ] && startx

The test against the lock file will make sure that
further console logins won't try to start a second
instance of X.

But I think I would not advice to do this, I'd just
like to mention that it's possible (and part of my
"auto-login with X" setup).

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany