Putting my new FreeBSD 9.3 desktop online ....

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Fri Aug 15 18:10:24 UTC 2014

On Fri, 15 Aug 2014 12:52:33 -0500, William A. Mahaffey III wrote:
> XFCE runs AOK from the startx command after a console login, so I think
> everything is AOK w/ startxfce4 & the rest of the install .... the
> recommendations for these 2 files came straight from Freebsd.org/docs,
> i.e. I found them online on freebsd.org.

By using startx, ~/.xinitrc is being used. But if you use
a display manager (usually xdm), this file is ignored and
~/.xsession is used instead.

To avoid the "two files problem" and additionally make sure
your C shell settings survive in X, use the following
"cascading approach":

Content of ~/.xsession:

	#!/bin/csh
	source ~/.cshrc
	exec ~/.xinitrc

Make sure ~/.cshrc exists; if it's ~/.tcshrc, adjust the
file name accordingly. Maybe specify #!/bin/tcsh. But I
think this is not needed, even on newer FreeBSD versions,
as it's tcsh anyway, and it has kept naming compatibility
to the "old" csh.

Content of ~/.xinitrc:

	#!/bin/sh
	# ... your other startup initializers here ...
	exec startxfce4

The first line of .xinitrc here is optional.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany