PS/2 connectors (Was: Re: operation not permitted on entropy file)

Arthur Chance freebsd at qeng-ho.org
Wed Aug 13 13:16:46 UTC 2014

On 13/08/2014 09:25, Polytropon wrote:
> On Tue, 12 Aug 2014 16:43:21 -0700, David Benfell wrote:
>> On Tue, Aug 12, 2014 at 07:31:41AM +0200, Polytropon wrote:

[huge snip]

>> This system doesn't even have connectors
>> for the mouse and keyboard connectors that were common 15 years ago
>> (and I don't have any of those mice laying around either).
>
> No PS/2 anymore? How time flies... :-)

My latest box has an Asus Z97-A motherboard, i.e. a relatively new
(Intel Z97 chipset, LGA 1150 socket) consumer one. It has exactly one
PS/2 connector, which can be used for either keyboard or mouse. (To save
anyone asking, no, it's not designed to work with a splitter cable.)
This actually suits the way I work - I use PS/2 for the keyboard, to get
unlimited rollover, and USB for the mouse, because the vast majority of
mice are USB these days and I'm very picky about the ergonomics so
won't/can't use just any old mouse.