operation not permitted on entropy file

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Wed Aug 13 08:25:16 UTC 2014

On Tue, 12 Aug 2014 16:43:21 -0700, David Benfell wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 12, 2014 at 07:31:41AM +0200, Polytropon wrote:
> >
> > No, Scroll Lock is a fully normal key that does what is
> > printed on the keycap. Why so surprised? ;-)
> >
> Because when I hit the up arrow key in my shell, it understands this
> as recalling (successively) previous command(s) in my shell history.

Correct, that is what the C shell does in normal (scrolling)
mode. In Scroll Lock mode, inputs can be made, but they will
not appear on screen immediately, because it is _locked_. The
arrow keys will move that buffer.

> I guess the difference here must be that I normally use zsh rather
> than sh?

No, zsh behaves the same, as bash also does. Inside X terminals,
you use Shift + Page Up/Down for the scroll buffer, but in the
"lower levels" of the text mode console, Scroll Lock is used
for that feature. This is independent from the shell you are
using.

> Cool, but for some reason it was refusing to recognize /dev/ums0, even
> though the device was present on the system. I looked around for
> configuration bits, but didn't find any.

Have a look at /etc/defaults/rc.conf, where moused configuration
templates can be found:

moused_nondefault_enable="YES" # Treat non-default mice as enabled unless
                               # specifically overriden in rc.conf(5).
moused_enable="NO"      # Run the mouse daemon.
moused_type="auto"      # See man page for rc.conf(5) for available settings.
moused_port="/dev/psm0" # Set to your mouse port.
moused_flags=""         # Any additional flags to moused.
mousechar_start="NO"    # if 0xd0-0xd3 default range is occupied in your
                        # language code table, specify alternative range
                        # start like mousechar_start=3, see vidcontrol(1)
allscreens_flags=""     # Set this vidcontrol mode for all virtual screens
allscreens_kbdflags=""  # Set this kbdcontrol mode for all virtual screens

However, for a USB mouse it shouldn't be neccessary to start
moused, because that's what devfs / devd does when encountering
a USB mouse device (ums).

> Unless somebody sends me an
> old serial mouse, the only type of mouse that will ever be plugged
> into this system will be USB.

Your system seems to be new. Where do you want to plug the serial
mouse into? I assume you don't have a 9 pin serial connector
anymore. Sometimes, there's still a pair of PS/2 connectors,
and a PS/2 mouse can be used.

However, if you should accidentally find a 25 pin serial connector
on your PC, I have a Genius mouse here (working!) which will fit.
With branded "mouse holder"! ;-)

> This system doesn't even have connectors
> for the mouse and keyboard connectors that were common 15 years ago
> (and I don't have any of those mice laying around either).

No PS/2 anymore? How time flies... :-)

> For what it's worth, the hald/ubus conglomeration *does* recognize the
> mouse.

Yes, but that's restricted to X.

--
Polytropon