How to transfer Mail from old machine to new FreeBSD box ....

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Wed Aug 13 07:59:59 UTC 2014

On Tue, 12 Aug 2014 15:12:00 -0500, William A. Mahaffey III wrote:
> Good call, old box used .../Mail/mail.hiwaay.net, new one uses
> .../Mail/pop3.hiwaay.net .... I just got everything copied & it looks
> good ....

This may be a change on the side of hiwaay.net (mailer DNS
entry). Thunderbird usually tries to determine what names
are associated to the mail services' servers, and many
providers did things like obsolete "pop" or "pop3" in favour
of "mail", whereas "imap" usually has been kept. Sometimes,
"smtp"'s functionality also has moved to "mail", so both
for sending (SMTP) and receiving (POP3) the same "prefix"
can be used.

That should not be a problem (except it is reflected in the
mailbox subtree naming).

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany