zpool from 32bit os to 64bit os

Paul Kraus paul at kraus-haus.org
Tue Aug 12 13:43:23 UTC 2014

On Aug 12, 2014, at 3:22, Lukasz <lukasz at chroot.pl> wrote:

> Thank you for answers. I'll try with export/import... I hope my data
> will be safe during this operation. :)

If you want your data to be really, really safe, then:

1. Make sure to export from the original server. While you *can* force the import on the new server, I really, really hate using the force option as the check you are overriding is there for a reason. Sometimes you don’t have a choice, but this is not a Disaster Recovery situation (and you do not want it to become one).

2. When you run the initial `zpool import` on the new system it will list the zpools it finds *and* their state. If the zpool is not complete or is any way not clean, then DO NOT IMPORT it and put the drives back in the old system and figure out what is wrong there.

3. When you run the `zpool import <zpool name || ID>` also set the readonly property using the -o option. This way if there is some kind of incompatibility (and ZFS does check for this and should want you, but it never really hurts to be paranoid) the new system will not write anything to the zpool.

4. If the readonly import goes well and all the data is there and looks good, then export the zpool and import it again without the readonly property and you should be all set.

The above may be overkill (depending on what your data is worth :-), but I have seen bugs in ZFS (although not very many in the past few years, I’ve been using ZFS since about 2007) and the additional time can save you lots of time in recovery later on.

--
Paul Kraus
paul at kraus-haus.org