operation not permitted on entropy file

Adam Vande More amvandemore at gmail.com
Mon Aug 11 18:51:17 UTC 2014

On Mon, Aug 11, 2014 at 10:35 AM, David Benfell <benfell at parts-unknown.org>
wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 11, 2014 at 05:16:53PM +0200, Polytropon wrote:
> > On Mon, 11 Aug 2014 09:52:00 -0500, Adam Vande More wrote:
> > > Try fsck'ing a nearly full TB FS on a production box that has had a
> dirty
> > > unmount and you will begin to appreciate the adventure a bit more.
> >
> > I prefer appreciating my precious data. :-)
> >
> On my system, it's a 2TB disk.

It isn't just the size, it's the percentage of it used.

> > > This statement doesn't make sense.  Can you post the output you're
> seeing
> > > along with the mount options in play?
>
> Ummm, how could I post this output? In single user, read-only mode, I
> don't think it got logged anywhere. I didn't take a picture. But I saw
> lots of messages referring to "unexpected SU+J inconsistencies." I
> remember the abbreviation sequence because I didn't know what it stood
> for (and still don't understand 'soft updates').

Well there are 1000 different ways but script(1) and mdconfig(1) might be
the easiest.

> > Having _no_ soft updates is probably only true for / when the
> > traditional partitioned layout has been chosen in the installer
> > (that is, for sysinstall; I don't know bsdinstall's defaults
> > from my memory). All other partitions are usually initialized
> > with soft updates enabled.
>
> Okay, this part I'm not remembering. It was FreeBSD 10/stable I was
> installing (I made a disk with my notebook). I don't know if it was
> sysinstall or bsdinstall.

10/stable would mandate bsdinstall.

> > Here's an example (restricted to disks):
> >
> >       % mount
> >       /dev/ad4s1a on / (ufs, local)
> >       /dev/ad4s1d on /tmp (ufs, local, soft-updates)
> >       /dev/ad4s1e on /var (ufs, local, soft-updates)
> >       /dev/ad4s1f on /usr (ufs, local, soft-updates)
> >       /dev/ad4s1g on /opt (ufs, local, soft-updates)
> >       /dev/ad6 on /home (ufs, local, soft-updates)
> >
> Mine:
>
> home# mount
> /dev/ada0p3 on / (ufs, local, journaled soft-updates)
> devfs on /dev (devfs, local, multilabel)
> linprocfs on /usr/compat/linux/proc (linprocfs, local)
>
> I had understood you to say that neither journaling nor soft-updates
> were the default for the / partition. I'm not remembering if they were
> presented as options in the install or if I selected those options.
> (This isn't stuff I ordinarily think much about.)

SU+J is the default for modern FreeBSD install.

> > As you can see, only / doesn't have soft updates enabled. This
> > is the choice I made in sysinstall (FreeBSD 8 here) when the
> > disk was new.
>
> If the the installation program presents the options, there's a
> possibility I ticked the selection. I don't remember.

It does present an option dialog, but requires user to click into it.
 Otherwise SU+J will be created.

> > > Journaling decisions can be made basically at anytime the FS isn't
> mounted
> > > or mounted ro using tunefs(1).
>
> Ah. Okay. I was only looking at the gjournal man page.

gjournal has nothing to do with SU+J.

--
Adam